Monday 9 February 2015

3 - Existing test gear and components

I have access to equipment from work, but will try to only use a subset of my own;

Test Gear I currently have;
USB 100MHz oscilloscope Hantek DS2250. (under £150)
Digital capacitance meter (easy and cheap to make a PIC based one - £25)
Digital voltmeters
Power supplies - various
Frequency meter (easy and cheap to make a PIC based one)
I have (just) bought a HF SDR - £90 but I am hoping to be able to use it for 80% of what a spectrum analyser can do.

(as an aside, I brought an old spectrum analyser from work home - about 20Kilos in weight, carried it up the stairs to my workshop/shack/man-den and discovered it didn't work. <sigh>)

I also have an antenna analyer - rigexpert AA-30 which can measure R,C,L
I have several SWR meters and dummy loads as well as a couple of amateur radio transceivers (Kenwood TS520 and an Elecraft K2)


Components: you should build up a junk box full of stuff!

I have bought two resistor kits, one leaded and one SMT (0805 size)
I have a selection of capacitors, some old polystyrene, quite a few polycaps, electrolytics and tantalums and a few micas. I also bought 500V mica caps specifically to build a bank of low pass filters for a PA, I will need more.

I have ferrites - 25 of FT37-43, 25 T50-6 and T50-2 (red and yellow)
Lately I bought 10 each yellow and purple capacitance trimmers.

And 10 x 2n5109, 25 x MPSH10 and 10 x J310, 2 x  RD06HHF1 and 4 x RD16HHF1, I have some diodes of various types but bought 10 x1N5711.
I also bought a dozen BNC Sockets and plugs.

As a strategy I will try to avoid using unusual or unmarked parts, it should be possible for any one to follow this blog and duplicate the work. I may build two or three of something to check repeatability.

Also where I use expensive test gear I will try and research how to build cheap gear, again so anyone can repeat the project themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment